Updated June 7, 2020
Art First Closed for 2020
I made the decision to cancel all camps for 2020. It was a difficult decision, made with a lot of tears. However, I know it is the right decision that best protects the safety of your child and our staff. Below is the email I sent to our parents with a child registered in the last 6 weeks of camp.
I’ve made the heartbreaking decision not to open Art First Inc. this summer and cancel the remaining six weeks of camps.
For the last week after the camp guidelines came out, I have worked hard to create a camp experience that would be within the guidelines and restrictions given to us by the state and also creative, full of exploration, experimentation and just fun. To meet the state requirements, I could have opened camp with a very small number of students who would be assigned an eight foot table with art supplies designated for each table. They would be required to create at their table except for social distancing breaks and we would not be able to have before care or after care. As I continued to explore the options, I could not find a way to develop a camp experience that protected children and staff and also provided the fun and creative experience you expect from Art First.
We will begin the process of refunding tuition in full on Monday.
I hope with all my heart that we will be back in 2021 doing what we love. I am sad and heartbroken for our families, for our young artists who love spending the summer with us and for all of us at Art First. We will truly miss all of you!
Stay safe and well.
Weeks 1-4 are cancelled
Posted May 17, 2020
On Friday, I made the decision to cancel the first four weeks of camp (through July 2). I am still hoping to open the program for the last six weeks based on government guidance and our ability to keep your child and our staff safe. Below is the email I sent to parents with a child registered in the affected camps:
Your child is registered for a camp at Art First in the weeks of June 8 to July 2. In light of the current health crisis and out of caution and concern for our students and for the staff, I have decided to cancel the first four weeks of summer camps (June 8-July 2).
I am still hoping to open the camp in July for the final six weeks of the summer. I will review the situation at the end of May and decide whether to open or remain closed for those weeks. I hope by then we will have guidelines from the governor and the CDC as to what is required and what camps must do in order to run…i.e. social distancing, smaller classes, etc.
The following camps are canceled:
Week 1: June 8-12
It’s a Snowy Day Masterpieces Without Brushes Look No Brushes Hurray! It’s a Snow Day Funky, Chunky Cityscapes
Week 2: June 15-19
Beachballs, Sand & Sun Walking on Sunshine Sunshine and Lollipops Beach Blanket Bingo Watercolors and Alcohol Inks Magic
Week 3: June 22-26
Piggy Party High up in the Trees Up in the Trees Those Crazy Pigs The Incredible Tree: A Mixed Media Adventure
Week 4: June 29-July 2
Christmas in July The Ornament Extravaganza Deck the Halls Christmas in July Celebration Harry Potter Yule Ball
We will begin sending out refunds for the cancelled camps this week. If the tuition was paid by credit card, it will be refunded back to your card and may take a week to show up in your statement. Please let me know if it does not. If you paid by cash or check, we will send you a check.
I understand how disappointing this is to everyone and how much we all look forward to our creative summers together. However, my overwhelming concern is to make sure that your child is safe at Art First and at this time I don’t think that I can do that. I know in my heart that this is the responsible and right thing to do. Please let me know if you have questions or concerns. You can reach me on my cell which is listed below or by email.
I look forward to a time when we can safely create together. Take care of yourselves and stay safe and well.